Enabling the Processing RuleApprovals can be enabled by going to Accountant Menu > Processing Rules and in the search box entering in "approvals". This will then bring up a "TimeCardApprovals" link you can select.
Rule SettingsOnce the link is selected it will bring you to a setup page that will allow you to setup what levels of approvals you want for the client. This consists of four initial check boxes:
- Employee approval - should employees approve their time cards?
- Supervisor approval - should supervisors approve time cards?
- Management approval - should management approve time cards?
- Management can approve as a supervisor - can management approve time cards at the supervisor level? (This option is not available if Management Approval is checked)
Multi Time Card ApprovalThis option allows for certain levels to approve time cards in bulk. If enabled, it does allow someone to approve a time card without viewing the time card. It can be given to Managers/Clients as well as Supervisors. In the case of Supervisors, they may be allowed to view the Multi Time Card Approval screen but not allowed to actually use the feature. This can allow for them to have a better idea of which of their assigned employees they still need to approve.
Checking boxes will then open up additional features for each level of approvals. Below is a break down of each. Remember these options will not show unless one of the boxes as outlined above has been checked:
What does an employee/supervisor/manager see on the time card?
- Employee Approval- If checked, the user will be able to see the employee approval status.
- Supervisor approval- If checked, the user will be able to see the supervisor approval status. For the employees, this will apply if they login to the Employee Self Service portal.
- Management approval- If checked, the user will be able to see the client level approval status in the Employee Self Service portal. For the employees, this will apply if they login to the Employee Self Service portal.
- When checked, employee editing is disabled for the previous pay period's approved punches - If the user has the ability to edit a time card, checking this option will not allow them to edit the punch once the pay period has passed and the time card has been approved by the level above them. This option does not apply to the Manager/Client level.
- When checked, employee editing is disabled for all approved punches - Unlike the previous option, when this option is checked, the employee is prohibited from editing their time card on any approved day, even if it is in the current pay period. This rule will apply if the day has been approved by any combination of employee, supervisor and/or manager.
Which employee(s) must approve their time?Only applies if Employee Approval is enabled.
- Everybody who has it enabled in the rule- Selecting this will open up an employee selector where you can filter employees who should be approving time cards.
- Everybody who has it enabled in the employee setup- This creates an additional field in Employee Setup where you can select whether or not the employee should approve a time card.
What does a supervisor see on the time card?This section of the rule dictates how a supervisor level user views the time card.
- Employee approval means the supervisor will see any approvals made by the employee.
- Management approval means the supervisor will see any approvals made by a client level user.
- When checked, supervisor editing is disabled for the previous pay period's approved punches means that a supervisor will not be able to edit* an employees time card if:
- the day has already been approved by a supervisor or manager and
- the day is in a prior pay period.
Can Edit XYZ clock prompts without affecting approval statusWhen check, this will allow any user to alter the data in a clock prompt without wiping out the approval status. This only applies to prompts X,Y or Z. It will not work with Web Only or Numeric prompts.
How to Approve a Punch/Time CardThe Approval system offers an icon based system to show at what level punches are approved at. Depending on the amount of levels a punch needs to be approved for (1-3) you will notice the below icon on time cards next to the employees name:
Single Level of Approval Icon:
Two Levels of Approval Icon:
Three Levels of Approval Icon:
To approve a punch you need only click on the icon for that punch then from the "Time Card Options" Menu select Approve Time Card > Approve Selected.
To approve the whole time card you can from the "Time Card Options" Menu select Approve Time Card > Approve All Entries.
There is no un-approve option, however, if a change is made to an edit, the approvals will be cleared out.