! By default, the system will report hours on the day of the in punch, so if an employee:
clocks in at 11pm on Saturday night
clocks out at 7am on Sunday morning
the 8 hours that they work will show up on Saturday's time card, not Sunday
If your client would prefer to report these hours on Sunday, you can use the Tomorrow Rule to move the punches to Sunday.
Rule SetupTo access this you will need to go to Account Menu > Processing Rules and enter in "Tomorrow" in the "Search for a rule" search box. You will then be offered the "Tomorrow" rule link.
On this page two times must be given:
- CUTOFFSTART: The punch will be moved to the next day when the OUT punch falls on or after this time. The most popular setting for CUTOFFSTART is midnight (12:00am).
- CUTOFFEND: Tells the system that any OUT punches that fall after the CUTOFFEND should not be moved to the next day. This time should be a time greater than your CUTOFFSTART time.
An example CUTOFFSTART could be 10:00pm and CUTOFFEND could be 2:00am. Which means any OUT punch the system sees between 10:00pm AND 2:00am will move that punch to the next day.
Pick the Right TimesIMPORTANT: Be careful when choosing these times because the rule does not account for how much time was worked before the cutoffstart. Consider the following example.
- CUTOFFSTART = 12:00am
- CUTOFFEND = 5:00am
- An employee that works 11pm to 4am will have hours moved to the day of the out punch becuase 4am is between midnight and 5am.
- An employee that works 3:00pm to 12:30pm will also have hours moved to the day of the out punch because 12:30am is between midnight and 5am.
- An employee that works 11:00pm to 6:30am will not have hours moved to the day of the out punch because 6:30am is after 5:00am.
- If the OUT was during the AM hours (typically after midnight), the entire punch is considered posted on the date of the "out" punch (which is the "next" day).
- If the OUT was during the PM hours (typically just before midnight), the entire punch is considered posted on the following day. As an example, a punch from 8pm to 11:15pm (both on Wednesday night) will be counted toward Thursday, if 11:15pm fell within the configured cutoff.